insurance now available at the Bariatric Institute of WI for our
self pay clients!
here for article on BLIS)
Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence
Bariatric Institute of Wisconsin (BIW)
Serving Elmbrook & Waukesha Hospitals
Weight loss surgery is a life-changing decision. You want the best
medical care available for this major procedure. Combined, David
Engstrand, M.D., James W. Burhop, M.D., Manfred Chiang, M.D. and Dr.
Bobby Wu have
more than 65 years of surgical experience. Each is exceptionally
skilled at minimally invasive laparoscopic bariatric surgery.
- The BIW surgical team has helped hundreds of patients fulfill
their dream of a slimmer life.
- BIW includes a comprehensive team with certified bariatric nurses,
dieticians, a physical therapist and psychologist. At the hospital
the anesthesiology, recovery room, x-ray and nursing staff are all
experienced in caring for our bariatric patients.
- Support groups before and after surgery.
- Comfortable setting tailored to your needs.
- Weight-loss surgery is the most successful treatment for severe
- Obesity causes more serious effects on overall health than
either smoking or problem drinking.
- Increases in chronic health conditions caused by obesity are
similar to those from 20 years of aging.
- Obesity increases the risk of death from:
- Heart Disease
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Sleep apnea
- Difficulty Breathing
- High blood pressure
- Joint problems
Innovative Surgical Techniques
Wu are one of the first teams of
physicians in Wisconsin to develop a minimally invasive bariatric
program. They perform LAP-BandŽ, Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, Gastric
Sleeve Resection and BDS-DS laparoscopically. That means small incisions, faster recovery and
reduced risk of complications. These doctors are four of only a
handful of surgeons skilled in both of these laparoscopic surgical
weight loss techniques.
- A Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more.
Click here to use the BMI
- BMI of 35 with other significant health risks.
- Documentation of 5 years of severe obesity.